Stuck at home? Stressing out? Take some time for the annual OMOT art competition

Update: Aug. 12, 2020

The 2020 On My Own Time Virtual Exhibition is live! This year’s show features 74 works of art in numerous categories, including photography, works on canvas, works on paper, mixed media, fiber and textiles, and sculpture, among others (and nearly half of this year’s entries qualified for the special "Stuck at Home" category).

Once you've perused the virtual exhibit, take some time to vote for your favorite piece. Visit the People’s Choice voting site, log in using your normal UTSW user name and password, and cast your vote.

Original post: May 29, 2020

Showcase your artistic skills in the 20th annual On My Own Time Art Show, a regional art competition hosted by the Business Council for the Arts that features the creative abilities of business professionals throughout the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Winners of the UT Southwestern competition will be showcased alongside winners from other Dallas-Fort Worth participating companies.

For the 2020 show, employees can enter works in two main art categories:

• Visual Art: includes works on canvas or paper, photography, sculpture, ceramics, jewelry, metalwork, mixed media, textiles, and fiber art.
  • Literary Art: includes short stories, poems, and creative non-fiction. In addition, UT Southwestern employees will have the opportunity to compete against other companies across the Metroplex. Selected literary works will appear in an On My Own Time journal and on the Business Council of the Arts website.

This year, there is also a special category at UT Southwestern: Stuck at Home! An art activity is a great way to spend time during this period of uncertainty and isolation. Stuck at Home is meant to showcase artwork created during the COVID-19 pandemic. All submissions must fall into one of OMOT’s regular categories, and a UTSW member must participate in creating the work. As with all OMOT categories, the limit is one entry per category per employee/student. Be creative, wash your hands, and take care.

Starting August 10, UT Southwestern entries will be on display in the Health Sciences Digital Library and Learning Center in South Campus. There are also plans to host a virtual exhibition for those who cannot make it to the Library! Art professionals chosen by the Business Council for the Arts will judge the Visual Art category entries and select honorable mention and first place winners. From the first-place winners, judges will choose a Best of Show entry. Also, UT Southwestern employees will have the opportunity to select a People’s Choice.

First place winners from each category and the Best of Show selection will go to a region-wide show at NorthPark Center.

Registration ends for all categories July 31. Visit the On My Own Time website for further information and to complete registration. Click on the “2020 Registration” light blue button on the left and enter “creativity2020” as the password to gain access.

For questions, email OMOT@utsouthwestern.edu.