What is the turnaround time for DNA extraction?
- Depending on the workload, most DNA extractions are completed within 7 days after being delivered.
How many purple top tubes (EDTA) are needed to complete DNA extraction?
- We will isolate genomic DNA from samples of 10 to 20 mL of whole blood. If there is more than one tube of blood, we will combine the buffy coat fractions and then process the sample on the Autopure LS machine.
If a sample of less than 10 mL of whole blood is submitted, the technician will isolate the genomic DNA by hand using Qiagen DNA purification reagents.
How are your DNA samples stored?
- DNA is stored in a single 1.5 mL microcentrifuge tube at 4oC until it is returned to the customer.
How are plasma/serum samples handled?
- Up to ten (10) 600 µL aliquots of plasma are stored in 0.5 mL microcentrifuge tubes. Up to five (5) 600 µL aliquots of serum are stored in 0.5 mL microcentrifuge tubes. All the aliquots per sample are placed in a Bitran Saranex Bag and labeled with the sample ID.
How are Plasma/Serum samples stored?
- Aliquots of plasma/serum are stored at -80oC until they are returned to the customer.
How long do Lymphocyte transformations take to be grown up?
- Transformation of lymphocytes can take up to 10 weeks.
How often are Lymphocytes processed?
- The HGCL strives to isolate lymphocyte within 72 hours of receiving the sample.
Does HGCL provide labels and tubes for our samples once they have been processed?
- Yes, the HGCL provides standard combo labels with barcodes and 1.5mL Natural Microcentrifuge Tubes for DNA and 0.5mL Natural Microcentrifuge Tubes for plasma/serum aliquots. PI’s are welcome to provide their own labels/tubes.
How far in advance do phlebotomy services outside NA2.118 need to be placed?
- In order to avoid scheduling conflicts, we ask that you contact the HGCL as soon as you know about a blood draw to ensure we are available. We ask that all orders be placed within 48 hours of a blood draw.
Who do I need to contact to check scheduling a phlebotomy service?
- Please contact contact the staff at 214-648-1311.
Does the HGCL provide phlebotomy services in the lab or only at outside locations?
- The HGCL can provide phlebotomy services in NA2.118 or other locations across campus.
What if I need to cancel/change a phlebotomy appointment?
- Please contact Julie Nguyen at 214-648-1311 as soon possible to ensure we can accommodate the request.
Does the HGCL provide services for fibroblasts cultured from a skin biopsy?
- The HGCL does not provide these services. Contact Yolanda Roberts in the Reference Lab (Veripath) for this service.